The Balyang Sanctuary was established on 9 hectares of mainly swamp-land in
1972. The riverside land was originally bought by Captain Foster Fyans. (1790-1870),
Geelong's first Police Magistrate, who built a home ' Ballyang'
there. The house was demolished long ago and in the early 1970's work began
on transforming the unsightly area into a beautiful sanctuary.
Water for the lake comes from storm-water drains and is supplemented from
the river by a series of small cascades and fountains. During construction the
lake was deepened and 3 islands were built. Two of these, 'Gum' and
'Cascade' Islands are reached by bridges; the third remains isolated as a breeding area for the many native bird species.
Pelicans. swans, native ducks, geese and egrets can be seen and fed. Parts
of the lake remain shallow and waders forage here.
A pleasant picnic spot with toilets and shade trees creates an idyllic
spot for a sojourn with nature.